Top Ten Tips to Increase Your Total Tomato Intake
Tomatoes are a natural source of lycopene. Lycopene is an antioxidant which may have health benefits. Here are a just a few suggestions for incorporating more tomatoes into your daily diet:
- Substitute "OJ" (orange juice) with "TJ" (tomato juice) three or four mornings per week.
- Add canned organic tomatoes to your favorite ingredients for omelets, frittatas or quiches.
- Add organic salsa to scrambled eggs for a breakfast dish with a Mexican flair.
- Warm up during the fall and winter months with a good, old-fashioned bowl of tomato soup.
- Add heaping amounts of organic crushed tomatoes to your favorite toppings on a baked potato.
- Use canned organic diced tomatoes in your favorite bruschetta recipes.
- Add canned organic tomato paste to your gravies for a richer, thicker sauce.
- Replace fat-heavy dips and potato chips with baked tortilla chips and salsa.
- Use canned organic whole tomatoes and tomato paste in your tomato-based pasta sauces.
- Eat more processed tomato products like spaghetti sauce and canned tomatoes. Processed tomatoes have a higher lycopene content than fresh tomatoes.