Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
1 (14.5 oz.) can Muir Glen® Organic Diced Tomatoes
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 Tablespoons flour
5 Tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
3 cups Gruyere or Swiss cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan
1 cup Sour cream
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard (opt.)
1 pound penne
1 cup breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
Preparation & Directions
- Boil the cauliflower florets in a large pot of salted water for 3 minutes, until tender but still crisp. Remove cauliflower with a slotted spoon, but keep the water to make the pasta in!
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté cauliflower for five minutes. Add Muir Glen® Diced Tomatoes and onions. Cook for a few minutes to combine flavors.
- Cook your pasta in the cauliflower water. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate pan, make your roux by melting 2 tablespoons butter and whisking in 2 tablespoons flour. Cook for a few minutes and then slowly whisk in your cream and milk. The mixture should thicken nicely.
- Add your cheese and stir until melted, then add sour cream, 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Stir the cauliflower mixture and cooked pasta in with the cheese sauce. Combine well.
- Pour into a buttered 13X9 baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs and the rest of the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes until golden brown.
Let cool for a few minutes before serving.