Eggplant and Orzo Bake
1 large eggplant (about a pound), cubed and salted
2 teaspoons herbs de Provence
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 rib celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5-oz.) can Muir Glen® fire roasted diced tomatoes
8 ounces orzo pasta, cooked
8-10 ounces mozzarella, cubed
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
Big eggplant chunks baked with orzo pasta and lots of cheese. Original recipe by Nick Evans of Macheesmo.
Preparation & Directions
- Cube eggplant into 1/2-inch cubes. Place cubes in a colander and sprinkle with about a teaspoon of kosher salt. Put a bowl filled with water on top of the eggplant to press. Let sit for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prep other ingredients.
- Cook orzo according to package. When done, rinse with cold water and toss orzo with a drizzle of olive oil to keep the pasta from sticking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. When eggplant is done pressing, rinse with cold water. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add eggplant pieces and cook for 8-10 minutes until eggplant pieces are browned and lightly charred. Add herbs de Provence and red pepper flakes to the eggplant and cook for another minute. Remove from the pan.
- Add another drizzle of oil to the skillet. Add onions, carrots, celery, and red pepper and cook until veggies are softened. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- In a large bowl, stir together eggplant, veggies, orzo, Muir Glen® Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, and cubed mozzarella. Season the mixture with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2 1/2 quart (or 9x13) baking dish. Dust heavily with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F. covered with foil. Then uncover and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
Serve baked pasta while warm!