Ricotta Sausage Calzones
8 ounces ricotta cheese
8 ounces mozzarella cheese
1 large egg
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pound spicy Italian sausage
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large bunch spinach
20 ounces pizza dough
olive oil for brushing
1 (15 ounce) can Muir Glen® Organic Pizza Sauce
Preparation & Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl, stir together cheeses, egg, dried oregano, dried basil, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add sausage (removed from casing) and a drizzle of olive oil. Cook for 8-10 minutes until sausage is well-browned. Break sausage up as it cooks.
- Once the sausage is cooked through, add garlic to the skillet and cook for a minute. Meanwhile, chop any large stems off spinach and rinse well
- Add rinsed spinach to the sausage skillet and cook until spinach is wilted. Remove skillet from heat.
- To make calzones, split dough into four even balls. Roll each dough ball out on a lightly floured surface into a 7-8 inch circle.
- Add about 1/3 cup of the cheese mixture to half of the dough circle, leaving 1/4 inch around the edge for sealing. Top the cheese mixture with 1/4 of the sausage and spinach mixture. Fold the dough over and crimp the edges to seal the calzone.
- Cut three slits in the top of the calzone so steam can escape. Brush the calzone with olive oil and sprinkle it with coarse salt.
- When all calzones are formed, bake them at 400 degrees F. for 23-25 minutes until they are nicely browned.
- Meanwhile, heat Muir Glen® Organic Pizza Sauce in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Serve cooked calzones with warm pizza sauce on the side.