Spinach and Shells
12 ounces shell pasta, cooked
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 clove garlic
1/2 white onion, diced
1 (28 ounce) can Muir Glen® Organic Diced Tomatoes
1/2 lemon, juice only
1 large bunch spinach, rinsed and chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup reserved pasta water
Salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese (garnish)
A quick garlic tomato sauce simmered with wilted spinach and served over shells pasta.
Preparation & Directions
- Cook pasta according to directions in salted, boiling water. As pasta cooks, scoop out a cup of pasta water and reserve for later.
- In a medium pot, add olive oil over medium heat along with onion and garlic. Cook until vegetables soften a bit, maybe 3-4 minutes.
- Add Muir Glen® Organic Diced Tomatoes with juices and lemon juice. Allow sauce to simmer for a few minutes to reduce and thicken.
- A few minutes before serving, rinse spinach well, cut off any thick stems, and chop roughly. Add to pasta sauce and stir so spinach wilts. Season sauce with a pinch of red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- At this point, if sauce is very thick, add reserved pasta water to loosen the sauce a bit.
- Drain pasta and divide between bowls. Top with tomato sauce. Garnish with parsley and Parmesan cheese and serve immediately!