African Peanut Soup
35 Minutes Prep
1 Hour 15 Minutes Total
Anyone who enjoys Thai peanut sauce will love this addictively good soup. Ground turkey and sweet potatoes stud this coconut milk and curry-infused soup, flavored with just a hint of peanut butter.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 oz) Muir Glen™ Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 can (14 oz) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Cilantro leaves, if desired
- In 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add turkey; cook about 5 minutes, breaking up with back of spoon, until no longer pink.
- Add onion; cook and stir about 4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, gingerroot, curry powder and red pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in tomatoes, sweet potatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper; heat to boiling. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add peanut butter, coconut milk and brown sugar, stirring to combine. Heat to simmering; cook 10 minutes.
- Add lime juice; stir to combine. Ladle into serving bowls; garnish with cilantro. Serve hot.