Chipotle Pulled Pork with Jicama Slaw
50 Minutes Prep
8 Hours 45 Minutes Total
This slow-cooker chipotle pulled pork gets sauced with an easy homemade barbeque sauce and is topped with a fresh jicama slaw.
- 1 tablespoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (3 1/2 lb)
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (from 7-oz can), chopped
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 can (15 oz) Muir Glen™ organic tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 2 cups shredded jicama
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- Spray 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon raw sugar, the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and ground mustard. Rub pork roast with spice mixture. Place roast in slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours or until roast is very tender.
- Meanwhile, make Sauce by heating oil in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes. Add garlic, chiles and 3 tablespoons raw sugar; cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted. Stir in tomato sauce, vinegar, molasses and 1/2 teaspoon salt; heat to simmering. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring once. Remove from heat; uncover, and allow sauce to cool 20 minutes. Transfer to blender; cover and puree until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to add to pork.
- In medium bowl, mix Slaw ingredients, tossing to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove roast from cooker, and place on cutting board; discard liquid in slow cooker. With 2 forks, shred roast. Return to slow cooker; add pureed sauce, stirring gently to mix. Increase heat to High; cover and cook about 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with slaw.
This pork and slaw are great served with tortillas, corn pancakes, waffles or over rice.
Leftover shredded pork can be stored two days in the refrigerator or up to two months in the freezer.
© Muir Glen Organic