Chipotle Pulled Pork with Jicama Slaw
50 Minutes Prep
8 Hours 45 Minutes Total
This slow-cooker chipotle pulled pork gets sauced with an easy homemade barbeque sauce and is topped with a fresh jicama slaw.
- 1 tablespoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (3 1/2 lb)
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (from 7-oz can), chopped
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 can (15 oz) Muir Glen™ organic tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 2 cups shredded jicama
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- Spray 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon raw sugar, the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and ground mustard. Rub pork roast with spice mixture. Place roast in slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours or until roast is very tender.
- Meanwhile, make Sauce by heating oil in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes. Add garlic, chiles and 3 tablespoons raw sugar; cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted. Stir in tomato sauce, vinegar, molasses and 1/2 teaspoon salt; heat to simmering. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring once. Remove from heat; uncover, and allow sauce to cool 20 minutes. Transfer to blender; cover and puree until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to add to pork.
- In medium bowl, mix Slaw ingredients, tossing to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove roast from cooker, and place on cutting board; discard liquid in slow cooker. With 2 forks, shred roast. Return to slow cooker; add pureed sauce, stirring gently to mix. Increase heat to High; cover and cook about 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with slaw.