Easy Rustic Bolognese
30 Minutes Prep
1 Hour Total
This easy Bolognese gets traditional Italian flavors on your table quickly for a delicious weeknight staple that’s elegant enough for entertaining.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 oz chopped pancetta (3/4 cup)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup finely diced onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrots (2 medium)
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery (2 medium stalks)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 jar (25.5 oz) Muir Glen™ organic Italian herb pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb tagliatelle or fettuccine pasta, cooked and drained as directed on package
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, if desired
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add pancetta; cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to large bowl. Remove half of the pancetta to small bowl; set aside. Add beef to Dutch oven; increase heat to medium. Cook 7 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned. With slotted spoon, transfer cooked beef to large bowl with pancetta.
- Add onion, carrots and celery to Dutch oven. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until brown. Return beef mixture to skillet; stir in garlic and pepper flakes. Add red wine; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in pasta sauce and whipping cream; heat to simmering. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 5 minutes to combine flavors. Toss with cooked pasta; top with reserved pancetta and the basil.
- This easy Bolognese gets traditional Italian flavors on your table quickly for a delicious weeknight staple that's elegant enough for entertaining as well.
- While diced pancetta is widely available now, if you need to dice a chunk of pancetta, freeze 10 minutes for easier cutting. Like a little more spice? Use an additional 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.