Hearty Chicken Chili
Cut down on the prep and get hearty, flavorful chicken chili on the table in about half an hour with the help of Muir Glen™ Organic Chili Starter with fire roasted tomatoes. This new pantry staple comes in two flavors, Mild and Medium, so you can create the perfect dish with the right amount of heat.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 can (28 oz) Muir Glen™ Organic Mild or Medium Chili Starter
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and salt; cook 4 minutes. Stir chicken; continue to cook 3 to 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center. Using slotted spoon, transfer to bowl; cover and keep warm.
- Add bell pepper and onion to drippings in Dutch oven; cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened.
- Stir in chili starter, beans and chicken; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 5 minutes, stirring frequently, to combine flavors.
- For best results, pat chicken dry before adding to hot oil.
- Feel free to substitute your favorite beans for the cannellini beans. Chickpeas, pinto beans or kidney beans are all good choices.
- Serve with diced avocado, crumbled queso fresco cheese, chopped fresh cilantro leaves, lime wedges and tortilla chips.
About 1 1/2 Cups Calories 400 (Calories from Fat 120); Total Fat 13g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 135mg; Sodium 1570mg; Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 9g, Sugars 11g); Protein 37g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 25%; Vitamin C 40%; Calcium 8%; Iron 20%;
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch, 2 Vegetable, 1/2 Very Lean Meat, 3 1/2 Lean Meat, 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice: 2