Instant Pot™ Creamy Tomato and Sausage Cavatappi
25 Minutes Prep
55 Minutes Total
Sure to become a family favorite, this creamy pasta, loaded with Italian sausage and baby spinach, is made entirely in the Instant Pot™. Whenever a dish is a joy to eat and a breeze to clean up, we call it a win (or in this case, dinner).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 oz) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 12 oz uncooked cavatappi pasta (4 cups)
- 1 package (8 oz) mascarpone, softened
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (4 oz)
- 1 package (5 oz) fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- On 6-quart Instant Pot™, select SAUTE; adjust to normal. Heat oil in insert. Add sausage, onions, garlic, salt and pepper flakes; cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked. Select CANCEL.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth and pasta. Secure lid; set pressure valve to SEALING. Select MANUAL; cook on high pressure 7 minutes. Select CANCEL. Set pressure valve to VENTING to quick-release pressure. Stir in mascarpone cheese and Parmesan cheese until cheeses melt. Stir in spinach and basil; let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Trademarks referred to herein are the properties of their respective owners.
- Fresh Italian sausage typically comes in both mild and hot varieties. We tested this recipe with mild Italian sausage, but if you like your pasta on the hot side, feel free to use hot Italian sausage.
- Make sure to thoroughly stir the dried pasta, broth and tomatoes into the sausage mixture before you begin pressure cooking. This will help the pasta cook more evenly.
- Cavatappi is a macaroni-type corkscrew-shaped pasta. It holds up well to hearty sauces.
- Shredded Parmesan cheese makes a tasty garnish for this pasta.