Pesto Margherita Pizza
45 Minutes Prep
55 Minutes Total
This twist on the traditional Margherita pizza uses a simple scratch crust, homemade pesto and Muir Glen™ pizza sauce. Pesto Margherita will be the new favorite on pizza night!
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for sprinkling (or up to 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup Muir Glen™ Organic Pizza Sauce (from 15-oz can)
- 8 oz bocconcini (small fresh mozzarella cheese balls), cut in half
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 450°F. Spray 18x13-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray, or line with cooking parchment paper.
- Mix 3/4 cup warm water, the yeast and honey in bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook attachment; let stand 3 to 5 minutes, until foamy. Add 2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt; mix on medium speed 2 to 3 minutes, until ball forms.
- Spray large bowl with cooking spray. Roll dough in bowl to coat. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel, and let rest 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in food processor, combine Pesto ingredients; process until smooth, scraping side of bowl a few times. Reserve 1/2 cup pesto. Refrigerate remaining pesto in airtight container for another use for up to 3 days.
- On work surface sprinkled lightly with flour, divide dough into 2 pieces. Hand form each piece into a rectangle, approximately 12x8 1/2 inches.
- Carefully transfer both pieces to baking sheet, leaving a little space between them. Pierce dough a few times with fork to prevent puffing in oven. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until dough just begins to brown on edges.
- Spread pizza sauce on crusts to within 1/4 inch of edges; top with mozzarella. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is bubbly.
- Drizzle top of each pizza with about 1/4 cup pesto; sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese. Cut into squares.