Skillet Butter Chicken
Ginger, garlic and garam masala (an Indian spice blend) are the three Gs that make this easy-to-make meal so complex in flavor. For a fun twist, we’ve replaced the traditional rice side dish with a flavorful, less carb-filled alternative, cilantro-flecked cauliflower rice.
- Butter Chicken:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 8), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 oz) unsweetened coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Cauliflower Rice:
- 2 bags (12 oz each) Cascadian Farm™ organic frozen riced cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 5 to 6 minutes, turning once, until browned. Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken to plate. Reduce heat to medium; add 1 tablespoon butter to skillet. Add onions; cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add gingerroot, garlic and serrano chile; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add garam masala and 3/4 teaspoon salt; cook and stir 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, coconut milk and browned chicken; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened and chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Meanwhile, place contents of both bags of frozen cauliflower rice in medium microwavable bowl. Cover; microwave on High 10 to 12 minutes, stirring halfway through, until crisp-tender. Add 2 tablespoons softened butter, the finely chopped cilantro and 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir to combine.
- Garnish chicken with cilantro leaves; serve with cauliflower rice.