Tomato, Feta, Pine Nut and Egg Toasts
35 Minutes Prep
45 Minutes Total
This ciabatta bread toasts are slathered with tomato kalamata olive sauce, baked with feta cheese and pine nuts, then topped with a fried egg. Yum. Perfect for those nights when what you really want is breakfast for dinner.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- 1 1/2 cups Muir Glen Organic diced tomatoes, undrained
- 20 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 loaf (16 inch) ciabatta bread
- 3 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir about 4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and oregano; cook and stir 1 minute. Add tomatoes, olives, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Slice ciabatta bread in half lengthwise; cut each half into 4 pieces to total 8 pieces. Arrange bread pieces in baking dish. Using 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, brush tops of bread pieces. Bake about 10 minutes or until toasted. Spoon tomato sauce over tops of toasts. Top with feta cheese and pine nuts. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until pine nuts and feta cheese are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Break egg into custard cup; carefully slide into skillet from custard cup. Repeat with other eggs. Immediately reduce heat to low. Season eggs with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 4 to 5 minutes, spooning oil over eggs, until yolks are set.
- Substitute the fried egg with poached or scrambled eggs, as you like.