Vegetarian Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew
Whether you’re looking for a vegetarian recipe or just something addictively delicious to make for dinner, this coconut and tomato stew, redolent of ginger, garlic and onions and warm spices and garnished with a shower of herbs and crunchy toasted cashews, will certainly fit the bill.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped gingerroot
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 cans (15 oz each) chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 2 cans (14 oz) unsweetened coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
- 1 can (28 oz) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 bag (5 oz) baby spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted cashews
- 2 red Fresno or jalapeño chiles, thinly sliced, if desired
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, gingerroot and garlic. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened and beginning to brown. Add coriander, turmeric, salt, cumin, pepper and red pepper. Cook and stir 30 seconds. Add chickpeas; cook and stir 5 to 6 minutes or until chickpeas begin to brown. Add coconut milk, tomatoes and sweet potatoes; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are tender. Add spinach; stir 1 to 2 minutes or until wilted.
- Divide among serving bowls; garnish with mint, cilantro, cashews and chiles.