Butternut Kale Tamale Bake
5 Minutes Prep
45 Minutes Total
The Faux Martha’s Latin-inspired vegetarian dish is the perfect blend of salty & sweet.
- 14.5 oz can Muir Glen Organic Diced Tomatoes
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 2 cloves garlic
- handful of cilantro, washed
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tsp unsweetened chocolate powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1/2" cubes
- 3 stalks of kale
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbs oil, separated
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar
- salt to taste
- 1 cup pre-cooked white or yellow corn meal
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- cotija, avocado & fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- In a high-powered blender or food processor, add all sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth, then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Chop the butternut squash into 1/2" cubes. De-stem the kale and chop into small, edible pieces. Drain and rinse black beans.
- Add 1 tbs of oil into a warmed skillet on medium heat, then add butternut squash and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Salt to taste. Add in 1/3 cup of the sauce. Cover and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, but do not cook mixture all the way through.
- Add in the kale, black beans, and an additional tbs of oil. Cook for another 3 minutes. Salt to taste, then remove from heat.
- Stir in 2/3 cup more of sauce with 1/4 cup of cheese (more if you like things cheesy). Use the skillet as your baking pan, or place in an 8" x 10" pan (or something similar in size).
- In a separate bowl, add the pre-cooked white or yellow corn meal to a bowl. Stir in the warm water a kosher salt.
- Crumble mixture evenly over the pan and press out until flat. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with cotija and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and avocados. Serve.
- The Faux Martha's Latin-inspired vegetarian dish is the perfect blend of salty & sweet.