Cheesy Cauliflower and Fire Roasted Tomato Gratin
45 Minutes Prep
1 Hour 45 Minutes Total
Cheesy, rich and creamy cauliflower casserole (gratin) is topped with the bright flavor of fire roasted tomatoes and crunchy, buttery bread crumbs. The result is a memorable dish perfect for family dinners and elegant enough for entertaining.
- 1 head (2 lb) cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1 cup hot heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup freshly shredded Gruyère cheese (3 oz)
- 2/3 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 can (28 oz) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- In 5- to 6-quart saucepan, cook cauliflower florets in boiling salted water 3 to 4 minutes or until tender but still firm. Drain.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 2 1/3- to 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray. In 3-quart saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-low heat. Add flour; stir constantly with wooden spoon 2 minutes. Slowly pour hot milk and cream into butter-flour mixture, beating with whisk until smooth; increase heat to medium. Heat to boiling, beating constantly with whisk about 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; beat in Gruyère cheese and 1/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese. When melted, add 3/4 teaspoon of the salt, the pepper and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Add drained cauliflower to sauce; gently stir to coat cauliflower. Pour into baking dish. Bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop drained tomatoes into 1/2-inch pieces. Drain chopped tomatoes again to remove as much excess liquid as possible. In medium bowl, mix tomatoes, garlic and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Remove cauliflower from oven; scatter chopped tomatoes on top. Bake 10 minutes.
- In 8-inch skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until lightly browned. Transfer to medium bowl; add parsley and remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over top of tomatoes. Bake about 5 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.