Creamy Spinach & Tomato Vegetarian Lasagna
35 Minutes Prep
60 Minutes Total
Take comfort food to another level Ahead of Thyme’s BEST creamy spinach and tomato vegetarian lasagna.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 28 oz can of Muir Glen Organic Fire-Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 tbs fresh basil, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (to taste)
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 and 1/4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- freshly chopped basil (optional, for garnish)
- Parmesan cheese (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and oregano and continue to saute for 2-3 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add crushed tomatoes and sugar. Stir to combine. Bring sauce to a boil and turn down heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- While the tomato sauce is simmering, prepare the spinach mixture. Squeeze the spinach in your hands to get out excess water.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add spinach and continue sauté for 2 minutes until the spinach is wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, Italian seasoning, oregano, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir until combined. Set aside.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
- In a greased a 9″ x 12″ casserole dish, spread a very thin layer of the tomato sauce on the bottom. Layer 3 lasagna noodles, half the the spinach mixture, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of tomato sauce. Repeat with second layer. End with remaining 3 lasagna noodles, remaining tomato sauce and 1 and 1/4 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for 15-20 more minutes until cheese is golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil and Parmesan cheese (optional).
- Take comfort food to another level Ahead of Thyme's BEST creamy spinach and tomato vegetarian lasagna.