Creamy Vegetarian Pasta with Tomato and Arugula
Easy to make cashew cream and a generous amount of nutritional yeast give this mac and cheese-inspired pasta dish its indulgent cheesy flavor and rich creamy sauce. Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted diced tomatoes and peppery arugula give it an unexpected burst of fresh flavor.
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 16 oz uncooked gemelli pasta (4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups baby arugula
- Add cashews to medium bowl; cover with cold water. Soak cashews in refrigerator at least 2 hours, but no longer than 12 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Cook and drain pasta in Dutch oven as directed on package. Return to Dutch oven; add 1 tablespoon of the oil, and toss to coat.
- Meanwhile, in 8-inch skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat; sauté onions and garlic in oil 4 to 5 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat.
- In blender, add cooked onion mixture, soaked cashews, 1 1/2 cups water, the nutritional yeast, salt and lemon juice. Cover and blend 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down sides as necessary, until completely smooth.
- Add sauce and tomatoes to cooked pasta in Dutch oven. Cook and stir over medium-low heat 3 to 5 minutes or until hot. Remove from heat; stir in arugula.