Mayan Harvest Bake
20 Minutes Prep
1 Hour Total
Brittany Mullins (@eatingbirdfood) layers polenta, quinoa, roasted sweet potatoes, plantains, kale, and black beans in a spicy chili sauce. Basically, it’s all of the good stuff on one plate.
- 2 sweet potatoes, washed and diced into 1/4 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 ripe plantain, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz. Muir Glen Organic Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups finely chopped kale
- 1 15 oz. can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 18 oz tube polenta, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup roasted pepitas, for toppings
- Avocado, for toppings
- Cilantro, for toppings
- Preheat oven to 400° degrees.
- Toss chopped sweet potatoes and plantains cubes in 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and spread onto a baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes and plantains are roasting, heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil on medium-high in a large skillet.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft and fragrant, about 5-7 minutes. Add tomato sauce, water, chile powder, coconut sugar, paprika, sea salt and cinnamon into the skillet and let sauce simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add black beans and kale into the skillet. Stir kale into the sauce, allowing it to wilt. Once kale has wilted down, remove sauce from the heat.
- Meanwhile, spray a 9x13 or 11x7 casserole dish with non-stick spray. Line the bottom of the dish with polenta slices, overlapping if needed.
- Top with the cooked quinoa. Then add the roasted sweet potatoes and plantains. Pour the saucy black bean and kale mixture over everything and use a spoon to create an even top layer.
- Bake casserole in the 400° oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle pepitas over the bake and serve warm. Top each portion with sliced avocado and fresh cilantro.