Rustic Tomato Goat Cheese Galette
30 Minutes Prep
3 Hours Total
This rustic tart takes a bit of effort but the rich, savory results are worth it. Serve with a green salad and a glass of bubbly.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) Muir Glen organic whole tomatoes, drained and juice reserved, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn meal
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fresh goat cheese
- To make crust: In medium bowl, mix flour, cornmeal and salt. Using fingers, blend in cold butter until mixture is consistency of small peas. Add water to mixture, and toss with fingers until dough comes together, forming dough into a ball. Flatten dough, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in 8-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion in oil 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds longer. Pour in reserved tomato juice; cook over high heat about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened. Stir in thyme, salt and pepper. Stir in chopped tomatoes. Let stand to cool up to 60 minutes.
- Preheat heat oven to 425°F. Line a cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out dough into 15-inch circle. Using rolling pin, carefully transfer to cookie sheet. Evenly scatter cornmeal over center of dough. Spread with tomato filling, leaving 2-inch border. Brush around outside rim with egg wash. Fold dough up and over filling in sections, overlapping to create pleats. Brush galette with egg wash. Sprinkle goat cheese over top of galette.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until galette is golden and cheese is golden brown on top. Remove from oven, and cool on cookie sheet 10 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.