15 Minutes Prep
15 Minutes Total
Celebrate the fruity side of tomatoes with a Tomato Margarita, a blend of tomato water (from a can of whole Muir Glen Organic tomatoes), lime juice, sugar and tequila. You won’t believe how good tomato can taste!
- 1 cup tomato water from diced tomatoes (water from 1 28-ounce can Muir Glen Organic Diced Tomatoes)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
FOR TWO MARGARITAS:
- 5 oz tequila blanco (silver)
- 4 oz tomato syrup
- 2 oz fresh lime juice
- ice, kosher salt, lime slices for garnish
- To make syrup, drain diced tomatoes. Let them drain well and press on them lightly to really extract as much liquid as possible without getting any tomato flesh. Add tomato water, sugar, lemon juice, and a tiny pinch of salt to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and liquid is hot. Let tomato syrup cool. If you are in a hurry, you can pour the syrup into a mixing bowl and submerge the bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice water. This will cool the syrup in five minutes. The syrup recipe should give you enough syrup to make 8-10 margaritas.
- To make two margaritas, add tequila, tomato syrup and lime juice to a shaker with a lot of ice and shake well for 10 seconds. Rub the edges of two glasses with a lime and dip in salt (optional). Add ice to each glass. Strain margaritas into the glasses over fresh ice and garnish with limes. Serve immediately.