Vegetarian Chickpea “Meatballs” with Pasta Sauce
30 Minutes Prep
1 Hour Total
This easy vegetarian Vegetarian Chickpea “Meatballs” with Pasta Sauce meal comes together in an hour.
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (3 oz)
- 1/2 cup panko crispy bread crumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 1/2 cups (from 25.5-oz jar) Muir Glen™ Organic Roasted Garlic pasta sauce
- Additional basil, if desired
- In food processor, place chickpeas, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the bread crumbs, garlic and basil; process 1 minute to combine. Scrape down sides; add egg and salt. Process about 1 minute or until mixture is completely blended. Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil; spray with cooking spray. Scoop a rounded tablespoon of chickpea mixture; gently roll into 1 1/4-inch ball. Repeat with remaining mixture to form 18 balls. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chickpea balls; cook 5 to 6 minutes, turning frequently, to lightly brown on all sides. Transfer to pan. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until balls are firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, heat pasta sauce in covered 1-quart saucepan over medium-low heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Serve with pasta sauce and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese over pasta, cooked to package directions. Garnish with additional basil.