Tomato Basil Vegetable Egg Strata
40 Minutes Prep
12 Hours Total
This easy prep-ahead vegetable egg and bread strata casserole will be the hit of your next family brunch. Or pair this with a simple green salad for dinner.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 8 oz button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen organic diced tomatoes with basil & garlic, undrained
- 10 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea or kosher salt
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese (8 oz)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (4 oz)
- 8 cups 1-inch cubes ciabatta bread (about 14-oz loaf)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat. Add zucchini; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove to plate; set aside. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil and mushrooms to skillet; cook 8 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are lightly browned. Stir tomatoes and zucchini into mushrooms until well combined. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile in large bowl, beat eggs, milk, whipping cream, Dijon mustard and salt with whisk until well blended. In medium bowl, mix cheeses until well blended.
- Place one-half of the bread in bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle 2 cups of the cheese mixture over bread. Top with vegetable mixture, 2 tablespoons of the basil and remaining bread. Carefully pour egg mixture over bread and vegetables. Top with remaining 2 tablespoons basil and 1 cup cheese. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Remove plastic wrap from baking dish. Cover with foil; bake 40 minutes. Remove foil, and bake 25 to 30 minutes longer or until bread is lightly browned and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.