White Wine and Tomato-Braised Chicken
Elegant and stress-free, these white wine and Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted tomato-braised boneless chicken thighs with earthy mushrooms, smoky bacon and sweet onions are sophisticated enough for a Saturday dinner party and easy enough to get on the table any night of the week.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 lb)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen™ organic petite diced tomatoes or 1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add 4 chicken thighs; cook 5 to 6 minutes, turning once, until browned. Transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining 4 chicken thighs. Add bacon; cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until crispy. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from Dutch oven.
- Add mushrooms to Dutch oven with drippings; cook over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. Add onions; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Add garlic, thyme leaves and bay leaf; cook and stir 1 minute. Add wine; cook 1 to 2 minutes, scraping up any browned bits on bottom of Dutch oven, until liquid is almost evaporated. Stir in tomatoes, browned chicken and bacon. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 to 35 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when thickest part is cut (at least 165°F). Add whipping cream; cook uncovered 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Remove bay leaf. Garnish with parsley.