Creamy Fire Roasted Tomato Coconut Soup
5 Minutes Prep
40 Minutes Total
This vegan tomato soup is made extra delicious with creamy whole fat coconut milk and fire roasted tomatoes.
- 6 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 - 28 oz can Muir Glen Organic crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 13.5 oz can whole fat coconut milk
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- garnish with chopped green or purple basil
- Melt coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onions have softened, about 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock, coconut milk, and cayenne pepper. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until tomatoes, onions, and garlic are soft, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer soup to the jar of a blender and puree until smooth. Return to saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until soup is heated through.
- If the soup seems too thick, stir in some extra stock to thin. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately with a sprinkling of Thai purple or Italian green basil.
- Add a teaspoon of curry powder for an Indian flare. Thrown in a split habanero pepper and a 1/4 tsp allspice for a bit of the Caribbean. Get creative!