Fire Roasted Tomato Mac and Cheese
40 Minutes Prep
1 Hour 5 Minutes Total
This cheesy macaroni and cheese combines fire roasted tomatoes with pepper Jack cheese for a tasty twist on a classic baked pasta favorite.
- 5 cups uncooked penne pasta (16 oz)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 3 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese (12 oz)
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup panko crispy bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package. In 4-cup glass measuring cup, mix milk and cream.
- Meanwhile, in 6-quart Dutch oven, melt 1/4 cup butter over low heat. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently. With whisk, stir in flour and salt until smooth. Increase heat to medium; cook and stir constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; reduce heat. Stir in cheeses. Cook until melted, stirring occasionally. Stir pasta and tomatoes into cheese sauce. Remove from heat. Add eggs to pasta mixture, stirring constantly, until blended. Pour mixture into baking dish.
- In small bowl, mix Topping ingredients. Sprinkle over pasta mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until pasta is bubbly and bread crumbs are lightly browned.