Southern Tomato Pie
A southern classic this savory pie combines plain diced (fresh or canned) tomatoes with fire roasted tomatoes. Then we roast them in the oven with herbs for even more flavor. Don’t skip the aioli cheese topping! Excellent at room temperature for brunch, lunch or dinner. This pie is wonderful for leftovers.
- 2-28oz cans Muir Glen Organic diced tomatoes, drained, or 4 cups fresh seeded & diced beefsteak tomatoes
- 1-28oz can Muir Glen Organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tbs fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbs oil oil
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Fontina cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup aioli or mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp salt
- hot sauce
- 1 unbaked 9" Single Pie Crust (store bought or homemade)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prick the pie crust all over with a fork and blind bake it on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Set on a rack to cool. (Pie crust can be made the day before.)
- Drain all the tomatoes well, reserving juice for another use. (See our drinks section!)
- Thinly slice onions and mince the garlic. Chopped the fresh thyme. Toss the tomatoes, onions, garlic and thyme in 2 tbs olive oil and then spread them out on a sheet pan. Roast the vegetables at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes on the upper racks of the oven until the veggies are drier and lightly browned.
- Combine cheeses and aioli. Season to taste with salt and a dash or two of hot sauce. Set aside.
- Combine roasted tomato mixture with chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Spread mixture in an even layer across the bottom of your baked pie crust. Dollop the cheese topping on the pie carefully spreading it out, trying not to mix it with the tomatoes below.
- Bake the pie at 375 degrees on the top rack of the oven for 30-40 minutes until the top is lightly browned. Cool to room temp before serving, or chill completely. Slice into wedges.
- A southern classic this savory pie combines both plain diced (fresh or canned) tomatoes with fire roasted tomatoes. Then we roast them in the oven with herbs for even more flavor. Don't skip the aioli cheese topping!
- Excellent at room temperature, serve for brunch, lunch or dinner. This pie is wonderful for leftovers.